Saturday, April 26, 2008

Motorcycle Miles: There is something about a small town

I grew up in a small town and anytime I ride through one I sense there is a wee bit of magic at work in small places.

For example: I know there aren’t as many things to do or see in a hamlet, village or town but on any given day I may do or see one thing that appears more significant in a small setting than a bigger one.

While riding through Belmont this week I saw for the first time the cairn erected recently to honour soldiers past and present.

It reminded me of other more substantial monuments erected in Norwich, Brownsville, Atwood and Lieury, all tiny places almost off the beaten track (and you won’t find Lieury unless you’re lost)
.

[Belmont, Ontario]

I thought, for some reason small towns remember their sons and daughters so very well.

Is it because they lost 3 or 4 out of their handful rather than 30 or 40 out of their thousands?

Next time I’m lost in Lieury I’ll stop, read the few names on the hamlet’s fine marker and remember them too.

No comments: