Monday, May 12, 2008

Recommended Reading: That part about front loaders in Leslie’s book

Geez, I talk like I actually know Leslie.

Because I do. We met while training for a long-distance run. I eventually qualified for the Boston marathon and Leslie got published. (An upcoming interview should make for a good column).

And in The Virtuous Consumer she writes:

“Buy a front loader if you’re in the market for a new washer.”


At the moment I’m not. But if I was I would.

You might ask, Gord, why are you so excited about a front loading washing machine at your age? Fall off your motorcycle or hit your head once too often?

No and no. I’m feeling just fine.

It’s because Leslie continued:

“I did - and my clothes come out of it practically dry. It uses at least 40 per cent less water and 65 per cent less electricity...”

But that’s not the kicker.

“What’s more,” she wrote, “if every US household used the most efficient washers, the equivalent of up to 40 million barrels of oil a year could be saved.”

It’s about the oil. I can’t even ride my motorcycle 35 - 40 km. to St. Marys without thinking about the oil and gas I’m using.

The Virtuous Consumer promotes a positive change in our thinking about many common consumer goods. [see Recommended Reading in right hand margin for the link to a short book review]

And please visit Four Mugs to see a stunning photo from that ride to St. Marys]

1 comment:

Jane said...

I'm getting like you - every time I get in my car now I think about the gas I'm using. Next year at UWO Kazi will have a bus pass and I'm going to make sure she uses it. That alone will cut my mileage in half. I could drive to Banting and back with my eyes closed I've driven there so much!