Sunday, May 18, 2008

When you mention Al Gore you get interesting feedback - Part 1

In a recent column I mentioned that federal Liberal MP Glen Pearson had met with Al Gore, participated in a week-long climate change project and would, at some point in the future, make climate change presentations of his own in London.

It seemed fair to ask Mr. Pearson if Gore was a worthy spokesperson for environmental issues.

According to my notes he replied, “Absolutely. You could tell that just by the presence of key scientists in Montreal. David Suzuki was also there giving his endorsement...”

It also seemed fair to think that, 30 seconds after my column that linked Al Gore, David Suzuki and climate change hit the streets, I’d hear from detractors.

And, fortunately, I did.


One person (Peter Pauper) wrote:

“I never know whether to laugh or cry when I read Gord Harrison’s musings on climate change, but his April 23 column took the biscuit... I don’t know which subjects Gord taught before he retired, but he is clearly no more a climate scientist than Mr. Gore is.”

After returning from the kitchen with more biscuits to go with my morning coffee I began typing my next column. It almost wrote itself. [Available next Thursday in The Londoner.]

[Read another person’s response to Peter Pauper’s views at cartoon life by Doug Rogers]

And please read When you mention Al Gore - Part 2 at Four Mugs and a Crock.

See you there.

GH

No comments: