Monday, June 2, 2008

Pt. 3 - Letters to Editors: Is Betty’s head spinning out of control?

In yesterday’s Letters to the Editor in the London Free Press Betty Howard asked a whirlwind of questions that need an answer before she finds peace of mind:

“Who is in charge?”

Not me, Betty.

“Where does it end?”

I don’t even know when, let alone where.

She mentions the new carbon tax and more policing costs and asks, “Does anyone know where we are heading?”

I say, it ain’t to Tipperary. (It's too far.)

Then she quickly adds, “Or are we just being led along in a spiraling neverending profusion of bans?”

Geez, Betty, take a breath. I’m starting to get dizzy.


[Click here to see photo in original context]

Once my head had cleared and I’d read her list of four bans being considered or implemented I noticed the first related to a safety issue (i.e. banning certain electronic devices in cars) and the other three (bottled water, future drive-throughs and plastic bags) concerned environmental issues.

When she added another flurry of questions I thought, are changes happening too quickly for Betty and others? Do they seem fair? Are they helpful? Are these few changes just the tip of the iceberg?

And we still have icebergs don’t we?

[Click here for Monday Memoirs @ It Strikes Me Funny by G. Harrison]

No comments: