Monday, July 21, 2008

24-hour Shifts: A new firefighter is still on the job

In the post below I mentioned my son’s first day on the job would be memorable because he laboured at a hydro vault fire in a highrise a few blocks from his Toronto station.

900 residents were evacuated.


[One of several training towers for Toronto firefighters: photo by GAH]

In a comment heidi said:

“Hope your son did well on the first day of his job... will you worry much about him?”

Dave will adjust quickly; he did a solid job with Emergency Services and has the ability to do many things well.

Will I worry?

Some. Not as much as I would if he was 25 years old or if he was starting in the early 1970s when a good friend did.


Equipment wasn’t as state-of-the-art and regulations related to chemicals wasn’t as strict. Young men went into toxic fires without adequate gear and had short careers in some cases.

Thankfully, my friend had a stellar career and retired as a captain.

Dave could too.

.

2 comments:

Myshell said...

Lance was a BLM firefighter when we met. Ever since, I get weak at the knees when I see a fire truck or firemen. Not sure what it is, but I do know it started my fascination with Lance working a shovel, something he can do quite well. Pretty bad when my kids are pointing firemen out to me and saying, in a sing-song voice no less, "Hey Mom! I see a fireman!"

I am happy for your son and his new gig...is this Ollie's dad?

G. Harrison said...

Hi myshell,

After David's grad ceremony my wife and i presented him with two pictures:

1. a crayon drawing of his own, circa 1975, he was driving a fire truck.

2. a photo of him, age 4 -5, in a firefighter Hallowee'en outfit, part of which was a cardboard box fire truck that still smelled of the red paint I'd brought home from school.

I think it was meant to be.

I'll try to scan the pic of the cardboard fire truck some day soon. Cute kid!

Dave is father to Jack, age 10; Paul is father to Ollie, age 20 months. Photo to follow in future post, maybe tonight!

cheers,

Gord h.