Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Live Small and Prosper: Do you drive a vehicle that sips gas slowly?

I have no idea if my Civic gets better gas mileage than other cars.

It travelled 450 kms on 26 litres of fuel on Sunday; or, 100 kms per 5.7 litres.

Is that good?

I want to live small but I actually don’t drive the car often enough to keep gas mileage records to compare with other vehicles. And when it’s low on gas I let my wife fill it up.


[1000 cc Minor; parked in Cameron, ONT. on Sunday: photo GAH]

Now, my 1000 cc motorcycle I know about.

Average mileage is 20 kms per litre, or 100 kms per 5 litres.

I have a record of every fill-up I’ve bought and can prove it got better than average mileage while fully loaded with gear last summer when I biked to Thunder Bay.

I know my scooter (2004) got 120 mpg. I’ll likely get another one next year.

I wonder what a 1000 cc Minor gets (MPG)?

I’ve read we build small cars like that in Canada but don’t allow them on the road - yet? (i.e. the Zenn) Are we making progress?

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your booklist! Have you read The Long Emergency by J.H. Kunstler yet? I think it'll fit in quite nicely.

G. Harrison said...

thanks jesse;

i haven't read it (two others are on the go, one local) but am now adding it to my search list.

i.e. next time I walk into my local library I'll ask for it.

cheers,

gord h.

Mojo said...

If that's an Austin (British Leyland) Minor, it probably gets exceptional mileage. Because based on my experience with BL products, you'll also build exceptional calf muscles pushing it everywhere you go. But it won't burn a lot of gas!

G. Harrison said...

very good, mojo. great laugh. i was in back seat of such a vehicle in mid-1960s driving reckless circles around Port Bruce ONT. it felt pretty darn tippy too.

cheers, GH

carmilevy said...

5.7 litres/100 km is fantastic mileage for a car. Was that mostly highway driving?

I've been riding and walking a lot more than usual - notable given that I've always been a rider and a walker. I drive only when I have to...don't much enjoy the experience, frankly. And I don't much understand why an entire culture has grown up around the testosterone-related benefits of driving. Bleah.

G. Harrison said...

hi carmi,

5.7 was from highway driving including a slowdown (so rare!) through TO.

the longer I live in Old South the less my attachment to a car; I can pick up most necessities within a 5 min. walk.

stay safe on your bike.

cheers,

Gord h.