Friday, August 8, 2008

Live Small and Prosper: The 5th anniversary of the Blackout is 5 days away

Part 4 (Saturday’s advance edition]

Two hours after the blackout on August 14, 2003 my wife and I shared a romantic candle-lit supper cooked over a roaring propane stove.

By seven o’clock the romance was over.

We needed to tidy our porch for visitors.

Recently I learned that while we tidied a reader took a worrisome journey.

Smarmoofus wrote:

I was sitting on a subway train with my sister in midtown Manhattan when The Blackout hit. Our host lived in Brooklyn. The subway was down, buses were packed like human sardine tins, roads were gridlocked, and there wasn't a cab to be had... So my sister and I started walking.


It took us about 6 hours to get to my friend's flat in Brooklyn... My friend, sadly, never heard from us 'til we showed up at his door. His relief was as great as ours... We were so glad we made it to the apartment safely. [unedited story here]


Shortly after 7 p.m. our own guests arrived.

Stay tuned for Part 5.

[Click here for Part 3]

.

1 comment:

Mojo said...

It's amazing the filter that time applies to events like this one. I think sometimes we're not able to see the good things that came out of it until much later.

Then there are some events that I'm at a loss to find the good in ever. The universe seems to have decided this is the summer to dump on all the people I care about. Most recently it's been my friend JC. If you and your readers have a moment to spare, I'm sure she'd appreciate a kind word.

Looking forward to the rest of the blackout story!