Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Grocery Store Blues: How do we keep up with higher food prices?

Crap. Where’s my wallet... again?

We may have a record wheat crop worldwide but prices will remain high, says the Canadian Wheat Board and US Dept. of Agriculture.

Many people’s wages or pensions won’t rise as quickly.


[“Kiss my penny collection good-bye!”: photo link]

Add in costs related to gas, home heating, rents and mortgages and we’re living inside the perfect storm.

Recently I whined:

“I’m up a pant size and my son’s wedding is just around the corner.”

So, at least in the food department, I will try to eat and spend less and it will honestly do me good. (And the recent addition of extra insulation in the attic and walls of this old house will hopefully save me more).

I think as bread and pasta prices rise [“during the past decade the price of bread has increased by 87 per cent”] I’ll balance things out by eating fewer restaurant meals and cutting back on pork and beef.

It helps that I’m motivated to lose 10 pounds.


["Harrison dekes around the defence..."; Photo in context]

My son’s wedding and hockey season approach and if you think new suit pants are expensive check out the price of hockey pants!

How are you adjusting to rising food prices?

.

No comments: