Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Grocery Store Blues: ‘Tis the season to make oatmeal fa-la-la-la-la

On Sunday morning, the first day of autumn, and the day after my son’s wedding, several family members and friends met at Hellen’s Diner for breakfast.

(It’s off Highway 35 near Fenelon Falls. Ask me for directions).

A few leaves were turning colour and I caught the smell of oatmeal in the outside air.


Once inside the diner I noticed our group dominated the small space.

I was greeted nervously.

“How many more are coming?” Hellen asked, wide-eyed.

“Maybe a few more, but we’re all easy to get along with.”

Normally, I’d order a good-sized and meatless breakfast but fall and winter are my oatmeal seasons.

Unfortunately, oats weren’t on the menu, and because I seldom eat manufactured cereals (one reason; 6 types of sugar in Kellogg's Muslix) I instead ordered and enjoyed two eggs, beans and toast.

This week I’ll walk over to Quarter Master in the Village to pick up bulk breakfast supplies for the next few months; rolled oats, dried currants, cranberries, raisins, cornmeal, cream of wheat, bran, almonds and walnuts.

I like to make oatmeal you can stand on.

Is it on your menu?

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you cook your oatmeal? Sounds nicer than plain ol' oats.

G. Harrison said...

hi jesse,

aahh oatmeal. one of my favourite topics.

i don't have a written recipe but will post reliable directions asap.

be prepared for breakfast for 10. i like to make big batches.

cheers,

gord