Friday, September 19, 2008

Motorcycle Miles: Postcards from the Side of the Road

Over the last few years I have developed the habit of stopping in the middle or at the end of a bridge to take pictures of scenes not visible from the driver’s seat of a car.


Though motorcycling isn’t for everyone I’d recommend that every driver park their car at the side of the road every once in awhile, walk back to the middle of a bridge, especially a tall one, to see what lies below.


Or beyond.


Or under.


Rare natural scenes await.

And stories.


Any bridges on your favourite drives?

(And now, off to a wedding I go. See you Monday.)

.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were you playing Pooh Sticks in that last photo?

You may not have heard of that game, it may be a traditional english thing from the original Winne the Pooh books by A.A. Milne.

If you were playing Pooh Sticks, then I think you were cheating. You're supposed to throw the stick into the water at the same time as your opponent, not lurk in advance.

Enjoy your wedding. We're getting down and dirty under cars (in a fixing them kind-of-way this weekend.

carmilevy said...

I'm a down-looker, too. And every time I walk a bridge, someone stops and asks me if I'm OK. I guess the sight of someone leaning over the edge might at first blush look like a possible jumper.

That trestle captivates, Gord. Where did you find it?

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jesse,

I hadn't heard of Pooh sticks.

The stick hanging from the rope over the Otter Creek in the last photo reminded me of the day I used to jump from the bank of its tributary, the Little Otter, try to grab onto a knotted rope and swing into the deep spot for a quick dip.

If I landed in the shallow spots it meant a mud bath - another form of down and dirty.

***

Hi Carmi,

First off, thank you for the best wishes re my son's wedding.

It was rewarding on many levels and I succeeded in talking the bride and groom into traveling to Quebec City for a short honeymoon before returning to work on Thursday. (They had planned to saty home!) The Old City will draw them back time and again.

re the trestle: drive east from London to Highway 19 e.g to Ingersoll; south to and thru Tillsonburg to Highway 3; turn west on 3 and within one mile you'll come to the long bridge over Otter Creek; trestle is south of the bridge, new golf course is north.

Happy hunting!

cheers,

Gord H.