Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Point of View: Should we ‘Cool it’ or ‘Heat’ it up re global warming?

I was recently asked the following:

“Have you read Cool It - The Sceptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming? It's rather thought provoking.”

I admitted I have not, though I have no doubt read many articles with a similar tone, and referred the reader to George Monbiot’s book Heat: How to keep the planet from burning.

In it is a concise chapter re the source of many of the arguments aimed at global warming.

“Follow the money,” I suggested.


[Link to other informative information]

I provided the reader with the above link, checked the graph again, noticed (again) average annual global temperatures and the five-year mean are heading north and read:

“Global warming is now 0.6°C in the past three decades and 0.8°C in the past century.

“More specifically, there was slow global warming, with large fluctuations, over the century up to 1975 and subsequent rapid warming of almost 0.2°C per decade.”

“Recent warming coincides with rapid growth of human-made greenhouse gases.”

“The observed rapid warming thus gives urgency to discussions about how to slow greenhouse gas emissions (6).”

In my opinion, the urgency remains - even if some want to cool it.

.

No comments: