Sunday, September 28, 2008

Powered by Oatmeal: Becoming a True Canadian one heaping bowl at a time

What makes a True Canadian?

A million things, I’m sure.

But if you’re becoming more self-reliant, have a desire for world peace, a pair of ice-skates near the front door and a love for homemade oatmeal then you’re on your way.

And the thicker the oatmeal the better, eh?


["Oatmeal with maple syrup, please." photo link]

After writing about oatmeal recently Londoner Greg F. said the following:

“There's seldom a week that goes by in which I don't make myself at least one bowl of oatmeal. I've never tried making up a large batch and storing it though. Is it as good reheated after being in the fridge?”

Since I only make big batches at a time, enough for 10 - 12 servings, I’m the perfect guy to answer that last question.

I’ve learned it is 95 per cent as good when reheated and have kept it as long as 10 days in the fridge.

I put cold oatmeal into a bowl, slice it into small pieces, add milk and nuke it for about 2 min. 22 sec.

I’ve learned by experience that a day (in fall and winter) without oatmeal is like a day without sunshine.

Is there a heartier, more Canadian breakfast than oatmeal?

I’d like to know and wait... spoon in hand.

.

No comments: