Monday, October 6, 2008

A love of recreational hockey runs, or skates, in the family

Part 2

It was good to hear via email that my oldest son had finally found not one, but two, playing opportunities in hockey leagues in his area [Fenelon Falls].

I responded as follow:

Hi Dave,

I enjoyed hearing about your opportunities to play hockey.

I'm glad you found at least one team, and $250 may be a steal - until I tell you what I pay.

Of course, I'm not in a league and only have 18 games on the official schedule, though we usually look for ice time at 2 other arenas to push us up to about 24 - 25 games. Not bad for... $190.

How many teams in the Cannington league? And is it a slapshot, body-checking league?

I played in such a league in my early 20s with 5 - 6 teams and won the scoring title one year. You were pretty young then and might not remember Scott Bradford, Don Kennedy and I driving out to Strathroy on Sunday mornings.


If you play for two teams you'll see your skills get sharper week by week, that's for sure, and - as with running regularly - that's an enjoyable part of most sports.

I don't know if you would agree but I think the enjoyment factor is much higher for hockey than running so I'll continue to play as long as I can. But, I don't think I could handle two leagues at my age.

Because you're retired like me [note - his job has a lovely schedule], and at such a young age (!) you should take it when you can get it, eh?

Keep your stick on the ice!

Love, Dad

I don't know, off the top of my head, where the love for rec hockey comes from. Do you?

But I do know that our adventures on the ice can be a friendly topic of conversation whenever Dave and I get together. It can be an ice-breaker, so to speak, before delving into more serious issues - if there are any.

And if there aren’t any I usually squeeze in the story about my spinnerama goal.

I tell it with more flourish every year.

Keep your stick on the ice.

Gotta good sport’s story?

I’ll tell you mine if you tell me yours.

.

No comments: