Tuesday, November 11, 2008

One week’s worth of small pleasures

Part 2

I think my ability to enjoy small pleasures is inherited.

For example: My grandmother, Ida Belle Catton, could make a box of chocolates last a month or more.

When she offered me one it usually had the bottom corner nibbled away. It was her way of locating favourites and eating them when desired.

Her little habit helped take the guess work out of which one I’d select.

“Thanks. Grandma. I’ll take this one that looks like it could be cherry cream.”

“That one? That’s strawberry, Gordie.”

My mother, Edith Jane, enjoyed frozen dark chocolate bars one or two small sections at a time.

“Why do you freeze it?” I once asked her.

“It lasts longer.” she said.

Then she snapped off a piece of Hershey’s dark, popped it into her mouth and was still humming 4 - 5 minutes later.

So I took to freezing Jersey Milk chocolate bars and had to admit they did in fact last longer and even seemed to taste better.

Frozen chocolate still does taste better, in my opinion.


[Who makes the best dark chocolate? The Swiss or Cadburys?: photo GAH]

It doesn’t last longer because some time ago my wife discovered what I was up to and squeezed in on the action.

But she never takes the last piece.

Small chocolate pleasures. Small frozen treasures. (Thank you, Dears.)

***

Please tell me about your small pleasures.

.

6 comments:

bobbie said...

You know what's really good? A couple of squares of Hershey's on a saltine cracker!

when I was a kid, my friend Jack used to say it was better going to his house to ask for chocolate. His mother gave us each a whole strip of squares. My mother only have us 2 squares apiece. But she also gave us saltines "to take the dark brown taste out".

carmilevy said...

I'm thinking home-brewed beer - in small amounts, of course - might be another simple pleasure. Loved the article in M, btw, and love this sentiment, too. How right you are: chocolate is best eaten in tiny amounts, after it's been frozen.

More broadly, life just doesn't seem as rich when you're consuming it in gulps. Better to go slow, focus small, and enjoy the subtle nuances. It's why we often stroll through a path as opposed to slamming through it at 150 km/h.

Anonymous said...

Cadburys is goood. But it has to be the English stuff, not the sweet flavourless north american bars - I'm ashamed to admit that we occasionally receive a Cadbury's Care Package from friends in the UK. Although, Swiss chocolate is pretty yummy too. However, I disagree with the freezing of it - it seems to change the melt-in-the-mouth effect for me. I am good at making it last ages though, having been brought up in a family where four of us would share a Mars bar once a month (if we were lucky) for a special treat.

I did laugh at the story of your grandmother nibbling the chocolates.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the great comments.

bobbie, I can't remember getting chocolate at a friend's house except at Hallowe'en, and even then it was rare. I would have liked yur friend jack.

I have never heard of chocolate and saltines. very interesting combo I must say.

i'm making a list, carmi, of small pleasures. I have porridge (made big batch this morning) and home-brew on it (am sampling latest batch now - but it needs more time to mature), so good thinking!

bill bryson wrote a few things in Notes from a Small Country about the differences between people who enjoy small pleasures and those who cram as much as possible into their lives, mouths etc. I tend toward the small and enjoyed what he said immensely. if you haven't read the book, carmi, i might have a copy stuffed in one of my small closets.

jesse, the photo of Cadburys in the post would have been slightly different had i taken it 60 seconds later. once i unwrapped the chocolate i had to sample! it is in my top 3. Hersheys dark is up there for sentimental reasons and Lindt is greaaaat.

the terrible deprivation related to 'four on a Mars bar' reminded me of 'seven on a brick of vanilla ice cream' - my dad's treat to the family on a Friday night. i may have had neopolitan once before i became a teen.

Mystic Thistle said...

taking my hair down at the end of the day.

G. Harrison said...

christy,

i think end of the day routines are the best if we feel we've accomplished something worthwhile.

gord h.