Thursday, November 6, 2008

Post-election thoughts from Canada and the US

Yesterday morning I emailed an acquaintance from the US with a few comments about Tuesday’s election.

Hi Jeff,

I hope you enjoyed the election results!

I stayed up to listen to speeches from McCain and Obama last night and felt both delivered very hopeful messages.

McCain said so many of the right things in defeat and hopefully his followers will catch his message to work together. I appreciated that he silenced the booing crowd when he had to, as well.

Obama is a terrific orator and had I been in Chicago (a 7 hr. motorcycle ride - I coulda shoulda!) I think I would have been over the moon as many in the crowd were, for many reasons.

'Highest voter turnout in 100 yrs' was mentioned in one report - I’ll look for stats later.

Our election had the lowest.


Maybe next time we'll get it right.

For the US, however, once Bush is out of office (January?) a new day will slowly begin.

Was there partying in the streets, or at your house? Maybe you're still sleeping. Sorry!

Mutt

***

Was there partying at your house?

Stay tuned for Part 2

.

2 comments:

bobbie said...

I partied all by myself at 11: o'clock when it was a sure thing.

Your photo of your flag against that sky is gorgeous!

Going Crunchy said...

I'm proud of my country for the first time in many years. I've been crying on and off in hopes, emotion and dreams that we may change the tide of our nation.

I've been blogging about it like mad and I just can't seem to stop. Free at last, oh, free at last. Shannon