Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Buy Nothing Year: I may be scrounging for clothes

I can’t buy any new clothes for 388 more days and already see a few problems ahead.

I went to The Roaster today wearing clothes I seldom pull out of the closet - green jeans and brown corduroy shirt with misaligned button snaps.

The jeans are okay but my hand went from my coffee mug back to the bad snap several times and I really wanted to just rip the shirt off - right in the coffee shop (“Stand back. This will be scary!”) - give it away and buy a new one.


[You can see my problem!]

But I can’t, and won’t.

However, I will barter.

Anyone want to trade one pretty decent looking shirt for another?

(I can live with curled up collars).

***

I’m thinking of expanding my Buy Nothing Year to include items in the food, shelter, transportation, recreation and communication departments.

You know, just do with what I already have.

I’ll get back to you...

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any nice ties in your closet that would hang down and hide the offending snap. Or I know! A medallion!!! Or maybe a sweater - a sleeveless one - over the top of the shirt?

Can you ask your contact in The Roaster when the new store on Ernest will open please? I could've done with a nice coffee after a long walk in the rain up to the post office.

G. Harrison said...

Wear a tie? Only to weddings and funerals these days. (32 years at school was long enough).

I like the medallion idea. I have a couple in the closet. Good idea.

And I'll ask Adam or Kendra re the Ernest shop. It was mentioned a month ago, but since then Adam has been distracted with a new restaurant, and Kendra with Cupcakes at the downtown market.

cheers,

Mr. H.

Anonymous said...

Is your right arm perchance two inches longer than your left? My husband has a mustard coloured shirt (from Marks and Spencers) with odd length arms he's willing to trade. He's a 17 1/2 collar though, I think it might not fit very well. Also, he has an old hubcab which would make a cool medallion ....

G. Harrison said...

i'll pass on the shirt with one long arm, or one short arm, whichever, because at least my arms are ok.

i'll think about the hubcap.

cheers,

Mr. H.