Thursday, December 4, 2008

Look up, way up: My sister returns from space

After my youngest sister sent me photos from space I thought she had actually been travelling with the Hubble telescope instead of teaching her high school class.

Hey, it could happen. She once took her daughter to a clogging festival in New Brunswick and, in my opinion, that kind of dancing is out of this world.

At any rate here are three more pictures from space.

(Thanks sis. Glad you got back safely.)


The Cat's Eye Nebula.


The Hourglass Nebula, 8,000 light years away, has a 'pinched-in-the-middle' look because the winds that shape it are weaker at the centre.


The Cone Nebula.  The part pictured here is 2.5 light years in length (the equivalent of 23 million return trips to the Moon).

***

I didn’t know that about the Cone Nebula, but then, I’m usually the last to know.

.

5 comments:

bobbie said...

The cat's eye looks like a Christmas ornament, doesn't it?

G. Harrison said...

hi bobbie,

yes, it does, and it would cost a fortune.

cheers,

gord h.

Anonymous said...

My husband says : you say you're the last to know, it looked like that 2.5 million years ago. Heaven knows what the neighbourhood's like now!

G. Harrison said...

if NASA wants a volunteer to drive the next Hubble I'd sign on, snap the pictures and never return. I wouldn't mind ending up as dust in space.

cheers

ps coat two primer finished; today - top coats; hope your daughter will like a bright red roof

Anonymous said...

oh yes please!