Monday, December 15, 2008

Plan A and The New Age of Austerity

During the century long age of cheap fossil fuels and big houses, cheap clothes and fast cars, expansive highways, factory farms and waist sizes, Plan A was (still is) to burn them as quickly as possible with no thought of tomorrow.

My brilliant observation: The party could be over any minute and we don’t have a back up plan.

James Kunstler, The Long Emergency, writes, “The salient fact about life in the decades ahead is that it will become increasingly and intensely local and smaller in scale.

“It will do so steadily and by degrees as the amount of available cheap energy decreases and the global contest for it becomes more intense.” (pg. 239)


[Could this one day be me? Where's the hamburger?: photo link]

Don’t you think, as the scale of almost every human activity is downsized because of smaller and costlier fuel supplies, we need some type of preparation plan (we could call it Plan B) for The new Age of Austerity?

For example: If factory farms are no longer able to produce and deliver as much food don’t we need to prepare to grow more of our own?

Q: How do you grow a hamburger on a sesame bun?

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last summer's very modest vegetable patch was moderately successful so last week I bought a whole load of seeds from a small company up Kingston way. I've asked for a small greenhouse for Christmas. I have two compost heaps and a few good books on self-sufficiency and growing throughout the year (yes, even here in Canada). I hope the vegetables grow. I hope I learn to save seeds successfully for next year. I've also spent a couple of years learning how to make bread and experimenting with sourdough. That's my plan. Veggies on toast anyone?

G. Harrison said...

excellent ideas jessica.

in my backyard, leftover from the ongoing reno, i have two dozen old windows with sturdy wooden frames. if you or your husband plan to design your own greenhouse you're welcome to incorporate any or all of my windows - no charge.

cheers,

Mr. H.