Monday, December 1, 2008

Recommended Reading: Will we survive The Long Emergency?

A few months ago, Jesse, a local reader, recommended I pick up James Kunstler’s book The Long Emergency.

The library called Wednesday (“A.... big.... book.... has.... arrived.... for.... the.... following.... person.... H.... A.... R.... R....), so I walked over, signed it out and arrived home before the message finished spelling my name.

I read a few pages last night.

It is going to be an awesome read.

This from the inside flap:

“The industrialized world is built on cheap energy.

Over the past century, we have used stored energy - in the form of oil, coal and natural gas - to create the marvels and miracles essential to modern life.”


[He didn’t mention we burn millions of tons of fuel producing gigantic piles of non-essential items, now being buried in a landfill site near you. Sorry, I digress.]

“But now the cheap fossil-fuels fiesta is ending, climate change is upon us, and our models of global industry, commerce, food production, and transportation may not survive.”

In other words, a hard rain’s a-gonna fall, for a long time.

How much time do I have to read this book?

“Three.... weeks.... Mr.... H..... A....

I’m on it.

***

Have you read this book? Any thoughts?

.

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Looking forward to hearing what you think of that book. It's one I've wanted to read for some time, but haven't come across it at any of the used bookstores. I wish my library was open on Saturdays!

G. Harrison said...

hi theresa,

the library system in London is top rate in my book, and a local branch is two blocks away. Ollie loves the well-equipped Thomas train table. (so do I!)

Anonymous said...

You've got at it last!

Enjoy. Looking forward to some discussion about it. It's changed my life in lots of ways - for example, last year I started a proper vegetable garden.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jesse,

After only 80 pages i already feel it is one of the best books I've read in years. Thanks for the tip.

Mr. H.

Anonymous said...

I was not a big fan of the book or Kunstler for that matter. Although it does make some good points in this book (as well as his others and when he speaks in public) most times he dis-credits himself by the end of it all.

Although it is a good read I wouldn't take it for the truth or an honest opinion of it by any means.