Saturday, December 13, 2008

Zoom w a View: A bit of summer time in the winter

A few minutes ago I walked into my study and the picture below was floating across my screen.

I had to show it off. (A summer time shot to warm up the day).

It was not my first view of Lake Superior but the first photo I took after pulling over at the side of the road.


My first view was much better and I’ll likely never forget it.

I was riding north out of Sault Ste. Marie after buying and strapping a second sleeping bag to my motorcycle.

Seconds after cresting a hill I saw the greatest of the Great Lakes appear, as if in a National Film Board film - for my eyes only.

Stunning. Vast. Oh, Canada.

My chest swelled.

Honestly, it was several seconds before I could breathe again.

And I couldn’t stop the bike easily. I was heading downhill with a lot of steam, and into a curve, and the view was quickly gone.


Over a hundred times on my ride to Thunder Bay I was struck dumb by the scenery and promised myself I’d return to the north shore highway.

All of it stunning.

***

Been there? Can you share a photo?

.

No comments: