Monday, January 5, 2009

From bee houses to bat caves, the Victory Garden is taking shape

Just the name sounds inspiring - Victory Garden.

Better yet - just about anyone can plant one.

[More details and fine comments at earlier post]

Thoughts of spring are multiplying and making my toes feel a tad warmer.

I have bamboo for a mason bee house. [Complimentary photo a few posts down]

I also found pictures and plans for a bat cave... sorry, bat house.


[Courtesy photo link]

So, once the two projects are completed in the workshop (hopefully, they will attract and keep plant pollinators near my house) I will draw up a plan for my own Victory Garden.

And it will certainly be a victory of sorts if anything actually grows. I do not possess gardening genes (like my father and older sister) but I do have a few other qualities that will stand me in good stead.

For example, I don’t mind getting my hands dirty. And I own a rake, shovel and hoe.

What more do I need?

[Bat cave construction link]

.

4 comments:

bobbie said...

Stamina. That's what you'll need. I'm sure you'll do it. And you'll enjoy it so much! Nothing so satisfying as pulling those first carrots and picking those beans and peas, and enjoying your first meal from the garden you created with your own hands.

bobbie said...

And don't forget to plant some marigolds.

G. Harrison said...

hi bobbie,

thanks for the encouraging comments and tip re marigolds. They keep away bugs, is that right?

Gord H.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to plant mustard between rows as a green manure crop too!