Monday, January 19, 2009

I Have A Dream: Martin Luther King Jr. would have turned 80 last Thursday

Had Mr. King not been assassinated on Apr. 4, 1968, at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tenn., he perhaps would have witnessed one of the most significant events in US history - the inauguration and future presidency of Barack Obama.

I believe, however, that five years earlier, when he lead the March on Washington, D.C., in August 1963, he was marching to to encourage the type of freedom and equality Mr. Obama grew up to experience and enjoy.


[March on Washington, 1963: photo link]

And when Mr. King presented his ‘I Have A Dream’ speech to civil rights activists in Washington on August 28, 1963, I believe his dreams included Barack Obama, and the hopes and sky-is-the-limit-possibilities that Obama’s inauguration and future presidency encompasses.


[“I have a dream”, 1963: photo link]

Dreams are for such things.

Dreams can become realities.

***

And we should all have them. Keep dreaming.

.

2 comments:

bobbie said...

Thank you for remembering him today. I firmly believe that he will be there tomorrow. And he will be smiling.

G. Harrison said...

Me too, Bobbie!

GAH