Thursday, January 8, 2009

Motorcycle Miles: Discovering Ontario in One Pair of Pants Page 6

Feel free to follow my thrilling adventures from London to Morrisburg, the Gatineaus, Algonquin Park and Bracebridge, made over nine days in the summer of 2006 - while wearing just one pair of pants.

Someday these stories might appear in an expensive book and you’ll be able to say you read them here for free.


[Sandbanks P. P., Prince Edward County: photo GAH]

Link to Page 5 for context, or if the excerpt below isn’t enough excitement for one day.

I discovered Picton has everything I like in a town - except for an easy-to-find gas station.

But instead of stopping to ask for directions (people don’t actually do that, do they?) or wasting more time and fuel I decided to backtrack and take my chances the next morning.

Fortunately, to my relief, while driving on fumes toward Sandbanks Provincial Park I saw gas pumps in front of the West Lake variety store.

The store, a small and cluttered building that looked like it was slapped together in the early 1900s out of leftover lumber, had nothing on its shelves that caught my fancy for supper so I was soon on my way.

A few minutes later I registered at the provincial park and fell into what would become my normal evening routine:

I looked for a camp site that had a clean and sturdy picnic table and was near a washroom and shower.

I explored a bit of my new neighbourhood to see if my site was relatively private.


[Privacy is free at Sandbanks P. P.: photo GAH]

I consider a site to be relatively private if I can sit at the picnic table and not see or hear children hitting each other with flip-flops, wet towels or foam noodles.

Or cursing in a high-pitched voice. I don’t like cursing.

Or high-pitched voices for that matter.

I parked the bike, and because a large body of water just happened to be in the neighbourhood (in this case, Lake Ontario), grabbed my camera and walked to the beach.

If this is too fast-paced for you, please sit down during the next installment.

.

Page 7 is underway - coming soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've been there too! But just for an afternoon and there were sadly lots of screaming kids. I couldn't get away from them either as three of them were mine! At least they weren't cursing eh? Your experience sounds lovely and serene.

G. Harrison said...

Jessica,

PEC will be one part of Ontario I continue to revisit. It has a high and low season and I fit with that way of life.

cheers,

Mr. H.