Thursday, January 8, 2009

Motorcycle Miles: Life lessons learned in the right hand lane

During a short camping stint near Wiarton in 2006 I decided I could survive on an upcoming nine-day trip with only the Kelly Kettle as a cooking device and sleep better on a time-consuming air mattress than my trusty Thermarest.

Good tips, eh?

And while biking to Wiarton I learned I’d live longer if RVs that shared the road (or ‘tried’ to share the road) were closer in size to a VW microbus rather than a motel.


As a huge one whipped by me on a sharp, flat curve and crowded into my lane a ‘life lesson’ for RV drivers popped into my head:

“If you can’t leave home without your home - don’t leave home.”

[More ‘Motorcycle Miles’ coming right up.]

.

Have you learned life lessons on the road?

2 comments:

bobbie said...

Mostly, the lesson that if you really need what's in that bottle, you just don't belong on the road at all. Not a new lesson, but sadly a very true one. I've lost a few friends to those who never learned it

G. Harrison said...

so right, and many still have a careless attitude concerning drinking and driving, bobbie.

attitudes often change too late, e.g. once you lose someone or know of someone who has.

thanks for your comment.

gh