Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pessimism Rampant Part 1: I’ve been told to lighten up

Like I said in my profile, I’m affected by the books I read.

[Please visit Read This in right hand margin]

The Long Emergency (December’s selection) is not about a trip to the hospital in an ambulance that got stuck in traffic. Or lost on a detour. It is about how we are sleep walking into a future far different than the present. We do things backwards sometimes, like Benjamin Button.

Into Thin Air (one of January’s selections) is an account of a disastrous climbing season (1996) on Mt. Everest. Not all climbers made it safely to the summit or back to base camp. It reinforces my thinking: On mountains and in day to day life, critical mistakes can be made, and not everyone gets out alive.

Then there’s the daily paper.

Pessimism rampant’ was a Jan. 13 headline in The London Free Press, but before I could read it or dissect even one sentence for a post or column, a reader emailed the following in response to my Jan. 7 article:

“I hope you don't take this personally, as I hold teachers in high regard and always respected the teachers I've had. Over the past year or so I've noticed your column being a lot less about "It Strikes Me Funny" and more about "Mr. Doom And Gloom". Your articles aren't even remotely humorous anymore. Kelly O.”

I had to agree - almost. (“Not even remotely?”)

I emailed him my recent book list, as above. Hope he understands.

Now, back to 'Pessimism rampant.'

***

Very interesting. Why is it rampant? What can we do about it?

.

4 comments:

bobbie said...

Well, yes. It's true that your recent columns do not reflect the blog name. Unfortunately though - they do make sense.

Theresa said...

I guess it all depends on whether 'funny' is taken to mean 'humorous' or 'odd, and worth thinking about some more.' I for one think its about time people started being a little pessimistic, instead of retaining the delusion that life can go on forever the way it has been.

Anonymous said...

I've always understood the the title of your blog in an ironic (British perhaps?) sense - and a bit like Theresa says - something that's not funny "ha ha" at all. Something that on the face of it seems funny but isn't really. And I think you raise important issues in quite a lighthearted way which makes them more approachable.

G. Harrison said...

I feel better already!

Negative emails don't throw me for a loop like they once did. They now make me go back and reconsider why I'm saying or doing what I am, and I usually feel pretty good about my efforts.

Plus, reader emails, both positive and negative, sometimes provide a starting point for a future column, and Kelly O's "Mr. Doom and Gloom" gets some consideration in this coming week's article.

Because I've my British and Scottish background, the blog name and column leans toward the "odd" and "ironic" (as per Theresa and Jessica's comments) and I think I'll stick with the name for a few more years!

Cheers to Bobbie, Theresa and Jessica,

Gord H.