Monday, January 19, 2009

Pessimism Rampant Part 2: Will Canada’s economy make a comeback? I think so

[Please read Part 1 for context]

“Keep it light with another flick about dogs or a lovable Mall Cop” [Front page, Saturday’s London Free Press]

I have a pretty good tolerance for reality so I skipped the flick and reread ‘Pessimism rampant’, an article from the Jan. 13 issue of the same local paper:

“Canada’s companies are bracing themselves for a very hard year of slower sales growth, shrinking employment and tight borrowing conditions that will further undermine the economy...”

“The mood among Canada’s business community (is) decidedly dark - the most pessimistic in more than a decade - in the face of the global financial crisis and economic slowdown.”


Though pessimism is rampant is some areas, I anticipate a small recovery, of sorts, after the next federal Conservative budget, thanks to a comprehensive stimulus package (including rebates on new cars, I hope).

Some might say, recovery?


[Change: Could be? Will be?: photo link]

Yes, because I include in my thinking the promise and hope associated with Barack Obama’s inauguration, and presidency, and the new-found optimism he brings to the USA.

A man can dream, can’t he?

***

And if our economy starts to make a comeback, in a smaller, more sustainable form, no more Mr. Doom and Gloomy Gus for me.

(Yeh, right!)

Is tomorrow’s inauguration on your mind? Will change occur here and elsewhere?

.

No comments: