Saturday, January 10, 2009

PM offers olive branch - a branch short by half


Occasionally (quite often in my case), in a marriage, one spouse has to step up to the plate and say something like, “I’ve been a jerk (nerdnik, dipweed, stunned bunny, dorkuss etc.) and that caused us both to step into some pretty deep crap.”

“And, I’m honestly sorry.”

The following olive branch (?) appeared in today’s London Free Press [CanadaWorld pg 1] related to PM Harper’s promise for a conciliatory approach to an upcoming federal budget:

“Now is not the time for parliamentary games”, Harper said - a reference to the storm that erupted when the opposition sought to overthrow the Conservatives by forming a coalition government.

The lack of any reference to his own jerk-, nerdnik- and dipweed-iness lessens the sincerity in his conciliatory approach, doesn’t it?

And wasn’t he conciliatory back in November, about 30 seconds before the last parliamentary meltdown?

***

Is it just me, or does you too smell some fish-iness?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've gone off Harper's idea of conciliatory! I'm waiting for the next round of "parliamentary games" that cost us all $$$.

G. Harrison said...

Call me an optometrist, Jessica, but I think the upcoming budget might hold a bit of promise for the Canadian economy.

But because I'm also a bit of a pestimist, I think what is coming down the pipe from the US might tip things downward.

Mr. H.