Monday, January 26, 2009

A second Boston Marathon?: Maybe not, but Gordie Orr has new motivation

In February, 2006, I stepped off a treadmill at the downtown YMCA after a demanding workout, showered, dressed, and before heading out the door to my bicycle, cancelled my 5-year old membership.

I was tired of being a long distance runner, and since I’d accomplished what I’d set out to do (qualify for, then run the Boston Marathon, 2005), the motivation to complete weekly hill workouts, speed drills and long runs had disappeared.


However, after 20 weeks of short distance running and riding a recumbent bike to get and stay in shape for hockey this year, an idea has formed inside my little round head.


I would like to run another half- or full-marathon at a very slow, deliberate pace.

I believe my shuffle is top rate. I have a positive attitude. I have friends who are still running each week. And most important, in my opinion, I have a wee bit of motivation.

Gordie Orr wants to play hockey for at least 10 more years. Among other things, time on the ice keeps me ticking. Definitely smiling.

***

What keeps you ticking? Smiling?

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the knowledge that I'm capable of doing what I do - but better.

Today I finished knitting two socks at once (toddler size) so tomorrow I start on full size socks.

G. Harrison said...

Jessica, this is a good time of year for knitting, so says my wife. she has been busy on several projects while i read my latest book purchase, The Upside of Down.

Mr. H.