Friday, January 30, 2009

Young at Heart: I’ve signed a 10-year hockey contract

Oh, I mean it all right.

Earlier this week I said I’d like to run another half- or full-marathon because I’m motivated to play hockey for at least 10 more years.

Two games per week keep me ticking, young at heart.

My motivation is influenced by a few kind words from another player too.

While our team changed into street clothes after a recent game, my defense partner said he was glad he plays with me and that I remind him of J.C. Tremblay. (J.C. is best remembered for his years with the Montreal Canadiens).


[J.C. Tremblay: photo link]

You could have heard a puck drop.

After all - I’m 5 ft. 6 in. tall, have never set foot in Montreal, am an old Leafs and Hawks fan, and am new to the defense dept., after 50 years of playing forward - poorly.

Here’s what I later learned about J.C.

“Tremblay was not a physical player, he never had more than 24 penalty minutes in a season, and he tended to shy away from body contact.” [link to Habs World]

That actually fits.

As well: “There wasn’t a better puck handler in the league than J.C. He was able to produce offense from the blue line, and was the leagues best playmaking defenseman. One of his signature plays was to rush up to the center red line and flip the puck in the air towards the goaltender.”

Hey, I’m no puck handler, but if I stay on defense, I don’t mind playing a wee, wee bit like Monsieur Tremblay.

I mean it.

***

Can we be young at 85 years of age?

.

2 comments:

Mojo said...

Actually my first thought when I read that remark was "comparing a lifetime Ontarian and (probable) Leafs fan to a Canadien -- no matter how good he was -- that's kind of a backhanded compliment doncha think?"

I mean I know Leafs fans that would take you into the corner for such.

But I suppose if you have to live with a comparison to one of "Those People", JC's not a bad one to pick.

As for your question, if I live to be 85, I'll let you know. I sure hope so!

G. Harrison said...

At my age, mojo, I'll take left-, right- and backhanded compliments related to hockey.

However, I'm going to take an old Leafs sweater to my next game and wear it underneath my own. I'll try to slip off the bench wearing it for my last shift.

GAH