Thursday, February 12, 2009

Live Small and Prosper: Could the new frugality make us healthier and happier?

At a recent board meeting the chairman asked, “Gord, anything to share?”

“Whazzat?” I said.

Busted.

While the treasurer had been sharing his report I'd been reading an article in Maclean’s magazine.

“Anything to share?” the chairman said.

Without skipping another beat I said, “Why yes I do.” (I felt certain the article related to business-at-hand).

“Anybody see this article?” I asked.

No one had, so I no longer felt like a complete idiot.

“It’s entitled Living On Less,” I said.

I also read the subheading: “Times are tough, but could the new frugality make us healthier and happier than we’ve been in years?”

I pointed to a photo.


[Photo link]

“This is the smallest house in the city of Toronto and it sold recently for $179,000.”

Board members were in awe, or something - so I continued.

Next I read the caption: “From 1980 to 2001 house sizes grew by 30 per cent, part of an Age of Excess some economists saw as unsustainable.”

I concluded, “People are over-stretched. That’s one big reason why we may face a drop in donations of food and finances in the future.” (at a local NPO)

Board members nodded.

And you thought I wasn’t listening!

***

I’ll read the full article tonight on my exercise bike. Stay tuned.

.

No comments: