Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Point of View: Living on less begins with repentance?

I wrote five earlier posts re a magazine article entitled ‘Living on Less’ because it makes sense for many reasons.

The article began with a stirring subhead (“Times are tough, but could the new frugality make us healthier and happier than we’ve been in years?”) and ended with a solemn sermon (“Perhaps the time has finally come to repent”).


["Set a new course": GAH]

I ended the series by saying, re repent:

“I may have to do a bit more reading about that word.”

And I did. I googled ‘define repent’ and was buried with definitions.

For example:

repentance - remorse for your past conduct

• A turning with sorrow from a past course or action

• Acknowledge one's wrong and turn away from it

Related to the article, I therefore think the writers are suggesting that ‘perhaps’ we should acknowledge that our lives of excess are wrong, show remorse, turn away from the damaging course and set a new one.

I think ‘perhaps’ isn’t a strong enough term.

***

Your thoughts.

.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

It's definitely time. I wonder if the author of that article put the word 'perhaps' in there to offset the strong moral directive that the word 'repent' connotes? To soften the message? Regardless, I agree with you that we are well past the time when we need to turn away and do things differently.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Theresa,

Very good point.

Repent is a loaded word, but in the article's context, perfect.

Keep well,

GAH