Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Simple Life: Oatmeal beats out Kellogg’s Muslix

Motorcycling season is coming soon (hey, a guy can dream) so I’m spending this week and next painting ceilings and kitchen cupboards for a client in order to pay for a new back tire for my Virago.

I’m breathing in paint fumes now so I can enjoy fresh air on country roads later.

Rather clever of me, isn’t it? (Not really. The ceiling has plaster stipple and is taking forever!!!)


But, and this is a big but, every morning I’ve been thankful I recently made a big batch of oatmeal Red River cereal combo with about eight additives (millet, bran, quinoa, apricots, raisins, currants etc.). One heaping bowl for breakfast fuels 1,000 trips per day up and down my stepladder.

My wife said I could try her new box of Kellogg’s Muslix.

Ha! I really had to laugh.

Compared to my oatmeal, Muslix won’t even help me open a can of paint.

***

Ever heard of an oatmeal drawer? (I keep mine in the fridge and nuke it in the a.m.)

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, the "sumptuous blend of crispy cereal fruit and nuts" seems quite tasty at first until you look at the rest of the ingredients: Cereal blend (whole wheat, sugar/glucose-fructose, wheat bran, malt [corn flour, malted barley], milled corn, rice, brown sugar, salt, barley malt syrup, fancy molasses, vitamins [thiamin hydrochloride, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, d-calcium pantothenate], minerals [iron, zinc oxide]), rolled barley, raisins, rolled oats, almonds, dates, dried peaches, dried apples, glycerine, hydrogenated vegetable oil, glucose solids, apple fibre powder, dextrose, modified tapioca starch, sorbitol, sulphites. BHT added to package material to maintain product freshness.

Painting ceilings is my least favourite job, I think I'd rather run a marathon instead. Are your spectacles covered in paint speckles?

twinkelydots said...

I have a friend who does steel cut oats in her slow cooker over night. She wakes up to fresh oatmeal every morning.

It's the one grain I miss (food allergies).

I heard a story yesterday on NPR (National Public Radio). It was talking about the bail out package here in the States for the auto industry.

It said that the average BMW has more American made parts than the average GM.

I had also heard a while back that Canada had given money to the American auto industry because there's so many Canadian auto industries involved in making American autos.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jessica,

An amazing list of ingredients, isn't it? I count six sugars, the same number found in mass-produced bagels that come in bags with a healthy runner on the label. makes me laugh.

I peeled a list of ingredients sticker off a box of do-nuts recently because the list was fatter and longer than the do-nut. It was more of a chemistry experiment than food stuff. Probably had a long shelf-life though.

The ceilings are misery. Only the new tire and tune-up on my motorcycle keeps me going up and down the ladder.

Cheers,

GAH

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. I could use a boost. Maybe I need your special ironman oatmeal!