Saturday, February 14, 2009

Young at Heart: Our youth is in our eyes

Chocolates? Flowers?

A single red rose, loving kiss, foot massage or heart-shaped cheese burger?


["Say it with cheese?"]

All good on Valentine’s Day. Whatever works for you and yours.

Ross McDermott, at LondonTopic.ca, has written a Valentine’s Day poem for the special person in his life - and I say “well done.”

And “wish I’d thought of it myself.”

Maybe I’ll fall back on one I wrote last year.

You will laugh and know



When I was a young man I wrote
long poems for you. Now that I am older
I write a song or two,

and hope the lines though short on heat
won’t miss a beat but catch you by surprise.
And you will laugh and know
our youth is in our eyes.


**

And if I can summon up the nerve - and remember the chords - perhaps I’ll sing this one for Sweetie-pie after supper.

You are the best of my friends.
Life can be a long, lonely road,
easier when you share the load,
and I’m walking with you.

You are the first of those near,
the closest of those I hold dear.
Time often gets slipping away,
you help me live for today,
when I’m walking with you.


Like diamonds in the night sky
I see love shine in your eye.
You treat me better than best,
I’m home when you lean on my chest.
Oh, I know I’ve got a good life,
and it’s better with you.

***

Chocolates? Flowers? Meatloaf?

.

No comments: