Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Live Small and Prosper: Bits and pieces about solar and cob ovens Part 1

Now that birdhouses and carpenter’s totes are finished for the season I have time to think about building a solar oven for the first time. (What I don’t know about the process would fill a book).

Readers mentioned the following:

Theresa from Alberta said... “I cobbled together one last summer in a hurry but could only get it up to about 300 degrees, for part of the day. I hope you have better luck!”

If I can hit 300 degrees that should certainly be hot enough to achieve two of my goals i.e. heat up leftovers and conserve a bit of hydro.

Jessica said... “How about a nice bird ;) I reckon a bushel of sparrows would make good eatin'! Squirrels too are the latest trendy dish in England.”

And Gaston Studio said... “Hey, pidgeon is really good. They have a special way of doing it in Cairo...”

Wow. I think I’d have to hit 350 degrees or more to cook meat.


[Squirrel meat for sale: photo and info link]

Now, even though I can catch squirrels (13 last summer in my humane and easy-release trap), no matter how trendy the squirrel dish is in England, I’ll continue to bike them to a nearby park to play with their buddies - not bake them.

And pigeon pie? I’ve heard of ‘four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie’ but not pigeons.

***

I think I’ve lived a sheltered life! Certainly lots to think about. Any more comments?

Stay tuned for Part 2

.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

(Blush) about misspelling pigeon! Actually, they do pigeon several ways in Cairo, but the dish I loved was grilled and it was absolutely delicious. Didn't taste like chicken at all. I was a bit dubious about trying it at first, I'm from Savannah GA, after all, where pigeons join you for lunch in all the parks, but it became a favorite of mine.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Gaston,

Pigeon might be something I could get past my nose and taste buds if properly prepared. I think one of the adventures we should try when in a different country is to eat new foods. Once I saw the photos of squirrel meat, for example, being sold in England, I knew it could be on my menu some day. Likely not soon, however.

Cheers,

GAH

Anonymous said...

My mum and dad used to eat pigeon regularly. My mum even broke a tooth on some buckshot still in the bird.

Anonymous said...

OMG, people eat squirrels? Ewweee! I mean, I can see that back in the pioneer days, but now? Eeeewwweee! (same for pigeons. )

G. Harrison said...

I've come across buckshot in rabbits circa 1960, not fun on a tooth filling. The one thing I can also remember about a person's comment re squirrel meat - "it tastes like rabbit."

50 years later, I'm thinking about it again.

GAH