Friday, March 6, 2009

My Point of View: I am one of four people without a cellphone

I knew it would come to this.

That I’d be one of the last men standing without a cellphone. Or a watch. Or a GPS unit in my car. And I’d be standing in used jeans. (I could add 1,000s of other bits and pieces to the list but I can’t find a pen).

According to a recently published UN report, “six in 10 people around the world have cellphone subscriptions...”

That’s leaves only four of us left. All stubborn old geezers too, I bet.


I found it astonishing that “by the end of last year, there were an estimated 4.1 subscriptions globally, compared with about one billion in 2002.”

But then, people are probably tired of dealing with fixed- or land-lines. For example, when has dealing with Ma Bell ever been a pile of fun? And, so I’ve heard, some cellphones are really cute and can do other stuff, like take a picture, vibrate in your pocket while you’re at a movie (I have to think, at my age, that would freak me out) or be there for you when you’re sitting by yourself, or not, at a coffee shop and you want to tell other people what you’re doing.

“I’m at a coffee shop. Drinking coffee. Staring out the window. You?”

If that sounds exciting, pretty soon there will just be the three of us. Then two. Then...

***

Are you one of the other three guys?

.

8 comments:

Butch McLarty said...

Never had a cellphone, never had a vibrating beeper.

No GPS in the pickup either.

G. Harrison said...

Butch,

You probably know most of the roads around here like the back of your hand; a GPS would just be annoying. And if a town's not on the Ontario road map why would I go?

Keep your stick on the ice,

GAH

Anonymous said...

We have a cellphone in the car, for emergencies (we bought it three years ago when my husband had a flat tyre in a snowstorm and I thought he'd been flattened on the 401 because he was so late home). I think we've used it three times, so we do own one, but I wouldn't say we used it.

My problem with cell phones is how everyone else becomes a second class citizen when it rings. Friends and their conversation come second to the phone in my experience.

No GPS either and never will have one. I'd rather have a map any day.

Butch McLarty said...

Gord, funny thing is I'm familiar with the corner house where you grew up in Norwich, Ontario.

My great aunt Olie Marshall (nee Thomas) lived two (or is it three?) doors to the immediate south.

The ranch-style home of Ken and Olie (Viola Ruth) was built circa 1961.

Amber said...

I'm cellphone free, always have been and plan to stay that way!

Anonymous said...

Jessica, good point re becoming second class citizen. A friend has a Blackberry and we can't get through a conversation without him pulling it out of his coat pocket two or three times.

Butch, the Marshalls were excellent neighbours, right next door, and we were in the corner house when Ken and Olie built their home. Last time through town I noticed the lot between the two houses was still vacant. I cut their grass for a few years for $5 (their wide lot also extended to the street behind them), using Ken's riding mower, not a bad deal for a teen. Olie was a well-known lawn-bowler, won some senior titles, and gave my dad a set of bowling balls - where are they now? I believe one of my sibs still has a framed pencil and/or charcoal sketch of Ken, presented to him when he retired (?), done by my younger brother. My dad, who lost his father at a young age, really admired Ken.

I cruise through town every year, once or twice on my bike, stop for coffee at Tim's. Ever get back yourself?

GAH

Butch McLarty said...

Gord, I was last down in Norwich (I lived there for a year or so in 1961-62) last summer for a family get-together at my Uncle Carm's place.

Outdoor BBQ in his back yard.

My older brother used to pal around with your younger brother Kim, who I remember as an excellent whistler.

My Mom and I stopped by to see Kim in London about 15 years ago. I really like his art.

My uncles Carm and Donnie used to run the dry cleaning shop on Stover Street next to my grandfather and grandmother's place back in the 1960s.

Sadly, Olie passed away about 20 years ago with Alzheimer's and my grandmother Beulah died on Dec. 31, 1996 from old age at 94.

My grandfather Harold passed away in December of 1972 at age 70. He died playing cards at his club "the sit and spit" on Main Street across from Arn's Funeral Home.

Dropped dead with a full house and they just wheeled him across the street.

What a way to go. A full house and no prolonged pain.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Butch,

Kim is still a good whistler, and now a better painter. His workshop is again on the April Studio Tour. (My workshop failed to make the grade for the umpteenth time - not much call for bird houses).

Carm and Don were good people (one played first base for a local ball team) and my oldest sister connected with one of your aunts or great-aunts last year but I can't recall a name.

Couldn't help but laugh at your reference to the sit and spit club, opposite Fewster's store, and the full house.

Keep well,

Gord H.