Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Point of View: I like certain sentiments and spring sediments

Even in hard economic times Canadians stand up for their surroundings.

“With the economic recession, it's expected that concern for the environment versus the economy would drop off. Canadians are saying, ‘No, it's still important, the government should still be focusing on the environment even though it has to stabilize the economy," said Sean Simpson, research manager at Ipsos Reid.

I like that sentiment.

And for the last two days, because the sun was shining in the backyard, I worked away (longer than expected) at tidying lumber into neat piles, building bird houses and tamping soil into many holes a determined skunk had made in the small lawn.

The smell of warm soil must give me (and the skunk) extra energy.

[See spring prose below]

***

My calendar says the first day of spring is tomorrow. What happened to the 21st?

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been soo busy outside raking and tidying and moving piles and chopping up branches and rummaging in compost heaps and gazing at my one crocus.

This from Wikipedia:

"An Equinox happens each year at two specific moments in time (rather than two whole days), when the centre of the Sun can be observed to be vertically above the Earth's Equator, occurring around March 20/21 and September 22/23 each year."

Maybe it's to do with the earht's tilt?

G. Harrison said...

March 20th is official then?

I'll have to move up my spring dance routine.

Next round of birdhouses is underway; 17 done, 6 more to go - for now.

Also, found free source of cedar for bowls; once my new lathe has arrived I may not poke my head out the shed door for a week.

Cheers,

GAH

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, a lathe! You lucky man!

Will the bowls be food safe? I'll take at least four please, about 6-5" across, for camping.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jessica,

Food safe? If I coat them with boiled linseed oil I think they should be okay for camping use. However, I think the cedar fence posts I found may not be old enough, dense enough, to turn into light bowls.

We'll definitely see what happens!

Cheers,

GAH