Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Simple Life: Can I keep chickens inside city limits?

Last year, while out for a morning jog, I heard a rooster crowing near the Thames River in downtown London.

I thought, what’s a chicken doing down here? Did it escape from a backyard coop? Can Londoners keep chickens in their yard?

I’d now like to find out the answer to the last question.

A recent CBC radio program informed me that more people are keeping chickens in England for a variety of reasons.

The benefits of eating fresh, local eggs and real chicken soup come to mind.

Though I write in an upcoming column I’d like to keep chickens myself I don’t think local by-laws will permit it.

***

Will trying to find someone at City Hall to answer my question be a challenge?

Stay tuned.

.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Mr H, I asked a gardening guy the other day about keeping chickens. I mentioned that I'd searched the london.ca website from top to bottom but found no reference to this. "Well," he said, "I guess if there's no byelaw forbidding it, then it's ok to keep chickens as long as your neighbours don't mind."

So, shall we go to Trails End next weekend and buy some pullets?

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jessica,

Pat and I talked about it today and we feel we have too much on our plate to start right away. She babysits Ollie too and is concerned re allergies.

However, I'll check with City Hall in order to collect info for a future column.

Pullets? Look at you, you're already talking the talk.

Cheers,

GAH

Jessica said...

cluck cluck cluck

I look forward to hearing about what you find out.

Unknown said...

Wow, chickens in downtown London? In the States, most cities don't allow this for health reasons... although every morning I hear a damn rooster crowing just around the corner from me! Should I report her (for I know who it is) or just plan on waking up earlier than usual?

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jane,

Earplugs may be the easiest solution. However, a friendly visit might be informative and lead to fresh eggs once per week.

My dad kept 8 - 12 hens for years; my youngest sister remembers the joy of collecting fresh eggs, plans on retiring to the east coast and I think a chicken coop is in her future.

In mine? Time and my lovely wife will tell.

GAH