Sunday, May 31, 2009

Coulda shoulda listened to my wife

While taking my new used Virago for our first two-hour journey together (we have to do a bit of bonding before I can say it’s my favourite bike in the entire universe) the fresh breeze found its way through every article of my clothing and cooled me to the bone.


["We have to do a bit of bonding": photo GAH]

Sure, I’ll survive. And my wife has been kind enough not to remind me that she told me I should wear longjohns before I left.

“The wind is colder than you think,” she said.

“No, I’ll be fine.”

By the time I was two miles out of town I knew I wouldn’t be fine.

I thought, shoulda listened to your wife, Gordie. Coulda. You’d better steer toward a diner for coffee.

And I did. And the hot coffee and refill warmed me up. And tasted great.

And the 30 minute stop gave me time to jot down several ideas under the heading ‘what to do with 3 ft. long pieces of cedar posts that arrived last night.’

An hour later, after one more stop in Port Bruce to warm up my bones, I turned around and headed into the wind and toward home.


["Chilly day at Port Bruce": photo GAH]

Though my hands were like bricks by the time I got home they’ll be warm enough to undo the lock to my workshop in a few more minutes. [Cedar posts equal birdhouses and bowls].

Next time my wife mentions longjohns they’ll be hiding under my jeans.

***

Have you been in a coulda shoulda situation recently?

.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Great story! So did you bond with your bike?

G. Harrison said...

Hi Kathleen,

We need a few more rides together before we truly bond. But I know it's going to happen.

Warmer weather, t-shirt, camera, thermos of coffee, beach-side destination - it will all come together soon.

Cheers,

Gord

Unknown said...

Oh my, I have way too many coulda shouda stories to tell in this little space!

But your bike story reminds me of the movie with Anthony Hopkins and I think it was called, "The Fastest Indian in the World." If you've never seen this, you really should; it's fantastic. And I'm sure you know what kind of Indian it's referring to!

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jane,

The World's Fastest Indian is a top pick of mine; though I don't live in my workshop I identified with what the main character (based on the life of a Kiwi) was trying to achieve. How he watered his lemon tree made me chuckle.

When I ran the Boston marathon I met a runner known as the 'Marathon Man' in Inverness, NZ, the same home town as the motorcycle man. Small world.

Cheers,

Gord