Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Gord’s Little Workshop: Adirondack chair from aromatic cedar

Something really exciting happened while I sanded and cut wood yesterday.

Now, when I say exciting, I do mean exciting, but strictly from my point of view.

[If you’re 17 years old and have a hot car, or are eating the best pizza ever or are skiing downhill at breakneck speed right now without a helmet, then my story might sound pretty lame in comparison. It might, but I doubt it.]

After sanding 100 cedar pieces for five Rietveld chairs yesterday, I cut into the scrap lumber my neighbour was going to toss and it turned out to be aromatic cedar.


["Aromatic cedar, I tell you!": photo GAH]

Aromatic cedar, I tell you - saved from a fire or the scrap heap of life to become an Adirondack chair.

And for the rest of my life, every time I sit in it I’ll breathe deeply and say, “Ahhh. You’re a lovely smelling chair.”

Ain’t that exciting?

***

Can you beat that for excitement?

.

4 comments:

Crazylegs said...

There are few things in life that slows down the pace of 'everything' more than the smell of aromatic cedar. I don't know why, but it has that soothing quality like an afternoon ballgame on the radio or a big Sunday dinner before a holiday Monday. Double the effect if the cedar is emminating from a chair whose seat is set at *just* the right reclining angle. Lovely.

Unknown said...

I love aromatic cedar; actually, is there any other kind of cedar?

G. Harrison said...

Hi Crazylegs,

I just got back from Chicago, and once I finish a bit of writing, I'll sand or scuff the cedar chair. Then assemble. 15 degrees looks like the perfect angle - but I'll do the sit test to be sure.

Cheers,

Gord H.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jane,

Different cedars at various ages supply a range of aromas. I know some furniture makers 'seed' their products with fragrance in order to catch a buyer's nose but the natural product is what I like best - and the chair happens to be finest smelling cedar I've found - so far. (I'm young yet!)

Cheers,

Gord H.