Thursday, June 18, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: Cycling to a neighbourhood near you?

For the last few weeks my column has been about different neighbourhoods in London (will any compare to Wortley Village? I’ll keep an open mind) - and half the fun is getting to some of them.

For example, my 12-speed rides like a charm.

The fresh air and exercise gets my blood flowing - hopefully in the right direction.

Bike paths through the parks or beside the Thames River are enjoyable to ride.

Sure, some road conditions could kill you. I just missed one pothole the size of a small cottage.

And traffic could kill you at any hour per day.

(Too much horse power in cars and SUVs? Too many drivers on cellphones? Too many cars per square inch? I don’t know, but it’s crazy on many city streets).

I suppose I should say the journey 'can' be half the fun. (Be careful out there).

The other half is trying to see a new neighbourhood through the eyes of a reader.

Recently, Phil W. wrote:

“Hi Gord. We’ve met in The Village and in Boston in 2005. Now let’s get down to business. I am a health conscious, eco-friendly, athletic book worm and my neighbourhood is perfect for my lifestyle. I rarely need my car.”

Phil added several more interesting details, including his address and the words ‘coffee is next door at Angelos’ and at lunch time today I picked my way through traffic and along bike paths to his neck of the woods.


["Though rain threatened, Gord arrived safely for coffee": photo by GAH]

Once I'd poured a cup of Seattle dark roast I sat down and imagined myself as Phil.

More details to follow.

***

If you live in London, tell me about your neighbourhood. I’ll come visit.

Link to The Londoner for a story about my latest cycling trip to Pond Mills.

.

No comments: