Saturday, June 27, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: A summer newspaper series made for TV

I need a director and producer, preferably with a TV camera and deep pockets.

Are you out there? Because my weekly column is quickly becoming a summer series about some of our city’s distinct neighbourhoods and I think it would be a big hit on television.

And not because I’m tall dark and handsome and have a winning way.

[I’m more like short, grey, reasonably pleasing to the eye - if you stand several steps back - and have found a way to sidestep responsibility. For example, ask me to write or talk about a certain topic and I’ll reply, tell me what you know. Voila - my role is done.]

No, my series would be a smash hit because as I cycle around the city I’ve found countless areas of interest, all pleasing to the eye, which doesn’t translate as well to radio or print.

Just the other day I saw several backyards in Oxford Park in which I’d love to sit down and so would millions of viewers. Admittedly, not all at the same time, but isn’t that what people want? To sit down and not spend time mending the fence?

I even found one yard with no fence. I loved it. It contained a shaded gazebo and fire pot, and is the perfect place to sit and chat with neighbours and ask questions like, “What kind of plant is that? Oregano?”

Or, “What’s that guy doing cutting his grass in his underwear? Let’s go see.”

Yup, perfect for TV.

But first I need a producer and director with deep pockets.

***

Have you noticed anything of interest in your neighbourhood recently?

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been meaning to drop you an email for a while and then I discovered your blog!
If you haven't visited already, do go and see "The Bag Lady" on the corner of Maitland and Pall Mall - well worth a visit (I live in this neighbourhood and it's great!) Attractions include:
London co-op
Carling heights recreation (closed at the moment)
Bag Lady
Not far to walk to Richmond or downtown
Shoppers and Tim Hortons on Oxford and Adelaide are handy
Tennis courts nearby
Park nearby
Nice sidewalks to wander along

Also, have you read the book "Not Buying It" by Judith Levine? If not, it's well worth a read (and LPL have a copy!) - a humerous account of not buying anything for a year.
It's always good to read your column - there are way too many people in this city that espouse consumerism so we need more balance from people like you :)

Greg Fowler said...

I don't have any deep pockets. And the ones that I do have always seem to have holes in them. But even I've been able to gain entry into the video production biz, thanks to the ridiculously affordable pocket-sized high-def video cameras like Kodak's zi6 that I picked up recently. Want to get together for a coffee and a hands-on demo? Let me know :)

G. Harrison said...

Hi Anonymous,

First thing I thought I'd better do this a.m. was respond to your helpful comment.

My brother lives at William and Pall Mall, a friend used to live on Regina, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area.

I consider it a great neighbourhood; variety of sizes of homes, many amenities close at hand, pedestrian and cyclist friendly - the bag lady (I didn't know about her).

I know I harp about walking and cycling but I think we'll be doing more in the future (as fuel costs rise). I'll definitely cycle through the area and drop in on brother Kim.

Thanks also for sharing info re an intriguing book - it's on my list asap.

Cheers

Gord H.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Greg,

I enjoyed your comment. You inspired me to look at pocket-sized video cameras.

I looked at two models yesterday so I have made a start and will look for the one you mention.

My own camera also takes videos, I've only used it two or three times, so I may try it first w tripod, rather than digging into my own shallow pockets. A short video clip of some parts of town e.g. Oxford Park, ("Cottage Country" said a reader) would be worth the proverbial 1,000 words.

Thanks for the mention of coffee and demo. I'll try my digital, then get back. I put coffee on my list almost daly.

Cheers,

Gord H.

Gord