Monday, June 22, 2009

Update re No new clothes until Jan. 1, 2010 - Part 1

In late 2008 I wrote in a column that a personal goal for 2009 was to buy no new clothes.

Not a stitch.

You may have wondered why I wear the same shirt 2 or 3 days in a row, and try not to sweat the details. Well, now you know.

As a result of the column, Jake, a regular reader, decided to cut down on clothing purchases and keeps me up-to-date on how he’s doing.


["Don't let the shopping cart rule your life"]

Recently he wrote:

“Hi Gord. Just read how "The Hills" struck you funny (to turn a phrase) and it reminded me to drop you a line about how I'm doing, clothes-purchase-wise.  Please understand, this is NOT a brag, it's just an update.”

“I've given to the GoodWill: 2 long-sleeve flannel shirts, 1 brand-new, never-worn spring jacket, 1 very gently-worn set of coveralls, 1 housecoat, 2 pairs of construction footwear and I also tossed an old t-shirt.”

“To date, I have only bought 1 pair of water moccasins to replace the current pair when they wear out.  I may need to get a pair of winter footwear when the time comes however, but that's basically it.”


I’m proud of the guy. Be assured too, he has given a lot more stuff to the Goodwill than is listed here.

And how am I doing related to the goal?

Stay tuned.

***

Some people try for a balance, i.e., new clothes in, old clothes out. Others buy way too much and weed out slowly.

What about you?

.

No comments: