Monday, June 8, 2009

Would you pay 5 cents for a plastic bag?

I hope the answer is no.

When a cashier tells a customer that plastic grocery bags now cost a nickel, I hope most people will say, “Let me buy a reusable one.”

People might say, “I’ll just put my items in this cardboard box I keep in the trunk.”

Or, “I’ll just carry this item under my arm. It’s a can of deodorant, after all.”

Five cents might seem cheaper at the moment but in the long run it is not.

Coincidentally, I’m happy to report that as I’ve heard cashiers share this news (re the 5 cent cost for plastic) at our local grocery store and at the beer store a few blocks away, no one has complained.

Not one little whine! Not one shot has been fired!

***

How do you see or handle the plastic bag situation?

.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We made several cloth bags that are intended to replace plastic and paper bogs and they do in our household. Never want to see a plastic or paper bag again!

bobbie said...

I hate plastic bags with a passion! Always carry reusable cloth bags. What really drives me crazy is when they try to put things into plastic and THEN into my cloth one because "it might get soiled".

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your email. I haven't made a cloth bag (not a bad project for me to try - running t-shirts fill a few shelves in my closet), but have started a collection of reusable ones.

Many organizations are giving them away now as promotional items (e.g. with recycling tips on the side) so our house is seeing less plastic as the weeks go by.

I think the 5 cents per bag is a tad low but a very good effort.

Keep well,

Gord H.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Bobbie,

I haven't had a cashier try to double bag to keep my reusable clean, maybe because our town is pushing the 5 cents per bag agenda.

I must say, however, you have very helpful cashiers!

Cheers,

Gord

Kathleen said...

Hooray for charging for the bags! And I agree, 5 cents is too low. If I haven't brought my big honkin' purse along, I usually just try to balance everything till I can get to the car. But if I'm on my bike or hoofing it, I've usually got a backpack. Thanks for the great post.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Kathleen,

Now that my bicycle has been dusted off for the summer, my backpack is beside the door. I just need a little gizmo for my travel mug - so I can sip coffee while riding.

Cheers,

Gord