Sunday, July 19, 2009

Zoom w a View: The fabulous home of the mud swallow

While motorcycling last year I stopped to take a few photos of hay fields, rolling landscape and cloudy skies, and while doing so noticed that swallows were darting here, there and everywhere, including under the bridge upon which I was standing.

Then I noticed something else.

Some birds flew directly under the bridge and out the other side, while others seemed to interrupt their flight with a brief stop underneath my feet.


I thought they might be visiting nests, so I scrambled down into a ditch to see what I could see.


Their nests of mud are works to behold. This year I arrived later in the season and the young had flown the coop.


[Above photograph from last year: photos by GAH]

No matter how many birdhouses I build, I won’t be able to improve on Mother Nature’s designs.

***

Location - Hunter Crossley Sideroad, south then west of Belmont, ONT.

.

No comments: