Monday, August 24, 2009

From mini-putt to mini-protest at the Highland Country Club

When Michael M., a local mini-putt whiz, heard about the $2.4 million tax break enjoyed by London’s Highland golf club, he said, “Homeowners don’t get subsidies. Those property taxes could be used to pay for kids’ programs, upgrades to parks, whatever the city needs.”

[Link to article in today’s London Free Press]

Not a bad comment off the top of his head while a microphone was stuck under his nose.


[When that happens to me my nose gets itchy, I break into a sweat and say stuff like, who are you, why is this microphone covered in grip tape, can’t... talk... now... mind... is... blank. Sorry, I digress. Oh, I wouldn’t say 'sorry, I digress' into a mike.]

And I agree with Mike.

Which begs the question: Why does a wealthy, exclusive golf club get a tax break? And not me? Or you?

And I also think this situation demands a mini-protest.

But what form should it take?

***

Ideas will be read and considered thoroughly.

However, forget about lobbing golf balls at the clubhouse.

I don’t want anyone to get hurt around here. I just want the money back.

.

No comments: