Friday, August 14, 2009

I spotted another old cyclist: Believe me, that makes two

Yesterday afternoon, after packing my bag and before leaving town, I met a friend for a much-needed coffee.

Good thing I did.

[That’s right. Even before taking a long-deserved break from chores, blowing this pop stand and dancing the light fandango I had to have one last cuppa coffee at The Red Roaster. I’m addicted to the dark roast.]

On the way home in his car I saw an older woman from behind on a snappy bike.

“Don. I think this is the woman I’ve been trying to photograph,” I said.

Don said, “Why?”

“She’s an example to us all,” I said. “We should all ride our bikes into our seventies. Eighties even.”

As we passed the person I noticed she sat upon a mountain bike, not a snappy bike with reflectors on the spokes.


["No photo of the cyclists... yet." photo from the porch GAH]

Not surprisingly, the rider was not the seventy-five year old lady I'd seen earlier in the week. But she was 75, or older.

“Speed up,” I said. “I want to get my camera.”

However she turned a corner as we hurried to my house and another opportunity was lost.

But, that makes two 75-year old ladies who ride bicycles around The Village. And hopefully, it will become a trend.

***

Believe me. One day I’ll get a photo (it won’t be this weekend - I’m on assignment in Near Northern Ontario) of one of these spry ladies and prove to the world that bicycles are indeed the way to travel in this neck of the woods.

Bicycling keeps a person fit... for free.

.

No comments: