Thursday, August 27, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: I could live downtown but could I afford it?

I know I could live in downtown London and enjoy almost every bit of it because I’ve already done it - though years ago.

[Click here to read recent column re my two years downtown.]


The only problem is - could I come up with the bags of cash needed to either get the kind of house I have in The Village, complete with lovely workshop (formerly an attached, dirt floor garage), 360 sq. ft. back deck (I could go smaller), and 1,000 sq. ft. backyard, or an apartment with quick and easy access to work and green space?

I’d have to have a workshop. I’m not into movies, sitting in a pub and sipping Labatt 50 on a regular basis or window shopping. I’d rather spend my time making a birdhouse or Rietveld crate chair for the backyard or deck.


My wife would have to have room to putter. She’s world class.

So, truth be told, the kind of place we’re looking for might not exist close to the historic core, and that’s where I’d like to be.

Right now, I’m a 15 minute walk from the JLC. I don’t think I can beat that.

***

Can you?

.

No comments: