Sunday, August 16, 2009

Letter to the Editor: About that weekly trash pickup

The city of London will one day have the perfect trash pickup system.

No kidding. It will happen.

[Citizens will be asked to put out just the right number of bags, in standard sized containers, with recyclables, compost materials, yard waste and old refrigerators filled with paint tins lined up neatly in a row - all wrapped in recycled Christmas paper.]

However, after one round of the perfect system someone will find fault and start to moan.

That someone might be Tyler S., who recently said the following in a letter to The London Free Press (Friday, Aug. 14 issue):

“While I applaud city council for the summer overnight parking project, I can’t help but winder how many would favour weekly garbage pickup.

Nothing says “good morning” like the smell of a warm dumpster and maggots as I walk through my garage to leave for work.

I would like city council to make another rational decision and include weekly garbage pickup for the residents of London.”


Now, before we all jump on the weekly pickup bandwagon, is there anyone with an even more sensible idea?


[Reduce spending, reduce production, reduce garbage]

“Oh! Pick me! Pick me! Oh! Pick me!”

Yes, you there. The man sitting at his computer.

“I say, charge two bucks a bag, pick up every ten days, and drop off a flyer to Tyler about how to do a better job with his dumpster.”

***

Anyone got a better idea?

.

No comments: