Sunday, August 16, 2009

Memory Lane: My dad pulled out pigs’ teeth in our kitchen?

No wonder the word ‘dysfunctional’ pops into my little round head every time I join my sibs at a family reunion.

Egad (as my mother used to say). Childhood was a scary time.

A week after visiting my first childhood home in Burgessville [link to earlier post - brilliant] and telling my siblings by email how the property had changed (I included a lovely photo, circa 1954, in which it’s pretty clear I’d peed my pants. Egad... the hits just keep on comin’), I received this note from an older sister.


[GAH on left; Sisters Lannie and Dale (the two tallest girls) on right]

Dear Gord,

Yes, I remember Mrs. Hilliker. I used to call her Mrs. Helicopter, because I couldn't say her name. I used to go over to visit her once in awhile, and she had a huge conch, on the floor, under a cabinet.

She would let me listen to the conch, and tell me to listen to the ocean. Then she’d ask, could I hear it? I certainly, did, and listened to it every time I went over. Lannie says she used to board with us before she moved to her new home next door, but I don't remember that.
 
I remember the pigs dad had, and remember one occasion when he brought them into the house, one by one, to pull out their teeth, I guess so they couldn't fight. They squealed something terrible, and I guess it made quite an impression on me. I'd like to see a complete picture of the old house, and yes it was brick. 

See you soon, love, Dale  


PS I like your chair.

Fortunately, I don’t recall the pig incident.

By the looks of the old photo, I was likely playing outside in a pile of dirt.

***

The chair she refers to is in a post below - again, brilliant.

.

No comments: