Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mini - protest at Highland Country Club: Day 2 - exclusive photos

1963 was a very good year for the exclusive Highland Country Club in London, Ontario.

While I ran around in dark-rimmed glasses, polyester pants and white sneakers trying to impress my oldest sister’s best friends, Club President C.P. Haskett (his initials seem to indicate he was destined for the role) inked a deal with City Hall to pay only 60 per cent of the club’s property taxes in perpetuity.


["C.P. Bennett inked a great deal, eh?: photos by GAH]

Def’n - in perpetuity - until we all push up daisies, even longer maybe

Not a bad move for old C.P., eh?


["I want to land a Highland deal"]

I sure would like to have a deal like that for my private property, for even 20 or 30 years. I bet you would too.


["My bicycle could get used to the Highland life!"]

Do other private clubs receive such a benefit? If not, why not?

Because they never asked?


["Mini-protest hits its stride - Day 2"]

Maybe all any of us has to do is ask.

I think I will.

***

What’s the number for City Hall?

Can anyone help me reach the Mayor?

.

No comments: